Friday, November 6, 2009

Tiramisu



Hi there everyone! Sorry for the ultra-long absence. I'm currently furthering my studies yet again, and this time, not only do I not have access to a nice big kitchen, but I don't have time to do it either! Sigh.

Anyway, this recipe is a constant favourite at our place. Not only is it really easy to do, it's really really tasty as well. Initially, Kanum made it but now, Shuketron has taken over as the premier maker of this tiramisu. I've never made it myself, but as I told you, it's really really easy to do. And people love it. When we made it for our open house last Raya, Shuketron's Tiramisu overshadowed almost everything else that the girls made. Oh well.

But anyway, now you can make it too! Here we go!

What you need:
1 x 8oz pack cream cheese, softened

2 eggs, separated
1/3 cup sugar
Thickened cream, 250-200 mL
Coffee - made with cold water
Sponge fingers, as many as you need
Milo

What you do:
1. Beat the egg whites until stiff.
2. Beat the cream cheese until stiff.
3. Add in the sugar, cream and egg yolks. Beat until smooth.
4. Fold in the beaten egg whites into the cheese mixture.
5. To assemble, dip the sponge fingers one by one into the coffee and place single layer into a dish of your choice. Spread half the cream cheese mixture over it.
6. Repeat the sponge finger layer with more biscuits and coffee, and spread the remaining cheese mixture over. Smooth the top. Sprinkle as much Milo as you like over the top. Shuketron has close to a cm of Milo usually, hahahah. Refrigerate for a few hours, preferably overnight, before serving.

So okay, I have to admit here that I am not a huge fan of tiramisu, but it seems like everyone else is! In this dish, the coffee-soaked sponges lend a flavour to the creamy cheese. And I have to say, I can see how everyone thinks it's wonderful. It's a delicious mixture of flavours - add the Milo and you're all set!

I've been meaning to post this for *years* now, but it's always been hard to take a pretty picture of this, unfortunately. In the end, I gave up trying to take a photo of a single serving, so unfortunately, you can't see all the layers. But no matter how it looks, people will always go for this and love you for having this. ;) Trust me.

Anyway, that's all I have time for today. Unfortunately, posts will be a bit sporadic, and probably no baking either, since I don't have an oven (!!!). Oh well. Till next time. =)

PS Check out the real-time chat widget! =D

Quote of the day: Did you know that "tiramisu" means "pick me up" (either physically or mentally, i.e. cheer me up) in Italian?



Recipe from Ihsan

0 comments:

Post a Comment