Friday, November 6, 2009

Breaking fast with Chapati


Happy fasting everybody! It's Ramadhan once more. My favourite month of the year. I can improve myself spiritually. I can detox my body. Keep my body healthy. My diet is well on its way. And of course, breaking fast with yummy food.

I had chapati yesterday. I prefer breaking fast with simple food. Only occasionally we go out for buffets. Breaking fast with my family at home easting home cooked meal is what I love in Ramadhan.

Chapati

Preparation time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Makes 6 large chapatis

Ingredients:

2 cups flour (I usually use 1 cup wholemeal and 1 cup plain flour)
3/4 cup of boiling water
a splash of vegetable oil
pinch of salt

Directions:


1. Place flour in a bowl. Add in the boiling water, oil and salt and stir with as spatula. Once the dough cools a bit (not to hot to handle by hand), knead the dough.


2. Knead until the dough forms a firm ball.


3. Leave the dough to rest for 30 mins. Cover the bowl with a damp towel.


4. Then, divide the dough into 6 same size balls.


5. Sprinkle a little flour on the table and roll the dough a thin as possible.


6. Make sure the pan is hot and NOT oiled. Cook the chapati. You when it's ready when the chapati bubbles up (looks like a fluffy pillow).



7. Place the cooked chapatis under a damp towel to avoid it from drying. Eat it hot with spicy curry dhal.

I ate mine with my mum's special dhal made of chinese mustard green, beans, chilli, garlic and of course dhal cooked with ghee. Yum!


Recipe from Phat-Baker

0 comments:

Post a Comment