Friday, November 6, 2009

Dobos Torta


I am always late in posting challenges..haha..

The first few challenges I've done was easy. Cheesecake, so easy. Cookies, so easy. Strudel, easy. But this challenge is actually quite challenging (pun intended). And thanks to my outstanding procrastinating skills, I only managed to make the cake today. :)

The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful
of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos
Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite
Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.

This dessert is by far the most difficult baking project for me. I am a simple person and I love simple recipes. But occasionally, I do crave some more action. And this is the one reason why I joined Daring Bakers. I need challenges in order to improve my baking skills.

Prep times: It took me 4 hours to complete this challenge. I halved the recipe to make a cute small 6 inch cake.

You can have a look at the recipe here, courtesy of Angela and Lorraine.

Cakes cooling.

Making the cake was a breeze. The smell when the cake was baking was so divine. I love the eggy vanilla flavour.


But, I had a little bit trouble when making the chocolate buttercream. The buttercream won't firm up and I had to put it in the fridge and the colour was not dark but more like a chocolate milkshake. It tasted good anyways.


Oh boy! the caramel topping was my least favourite part of the recipe. I didn't anticipate that it will harden so fast. My cake was not pretty.

Overall, I like this dessert. I do not love it because it's a tad too sweet for my liking. August challenge done. Woot!

Recipe from Phat-Baker

0 comments:

Post a Comment